Saturday, April 26, 2014

new short!

I've uploaded a new short story. You can find it HERE! Or somewhere else. I don't know where that else would be, but it could totally be there, too.

In the space of time I've been away from the blog, I've finished the Dan Simmons' books Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion. They're good books, and I love how detailed Simmons universe is. His writing isn't "literary" crisp, but c'mon, that's not why I'm reading science-fiction.

Simmons' imagination is epic stuff. Kind of like high fantasy, but crazier because there's got to be some semblance of logic and real-world laws.

The best part? He got Hyperion published in 1989. Lots of the issues we see in techie society are addressed in his books and it's a little chilling. The predictive nature of science-fiction novels are exactly why they can be so captivating.

I recommend reading Hyperion.

I'm currently reading The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays by Oscar Wilde, and I love it so far. He has an exceptional skill for writing distinct tones and personalities. There's always a point to his writing but he's not beating you over the head with it, sprinkling enough clues for you to see it, but only if you want to.

I don't like reading plays too much, but Wilde's such a notable writer, that I made an exception, and I'm glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment